Whether you’re a business owner, supervisor, manager, or human resources professional, the Massachusetts Employer’s Guide from Blue Gavel Press provides you with the information necessary to understand the technical and legal aspects of the employment relationship.
Knowing your legal responsibilities as an employer can be confusing. Laws are added and amended constantly. Fortunately, the Massachusetts Employer’s Guide is updated annually and free of legal-speak, so you stay current and knowledgeable in employment law.
Among the many updates throughout this edition, highlights include:
• Amendment to the Massachusetts Fair Employment Practices Law, which prohibits employment discrimination based on gender identity
• Massachusetts law prohibiting questions concerning past convictions on initial applications for employment and developing a new method for employers to perform criminal background checks
• Discussion of legal restrictions on social media policies under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), which prohibits policies that interfere with an employee’s right to communicate with co-workers about the terms and conditions of employment
• Notice requirement for tipped employees under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act
• The Vow to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, which contains federal tax incentives for employers that hire certain veterans who are disabled, unemployed, or receiving government assistance
Inside, chapters range from "Hiring" to "Termination of Employment" and everything in between. Hyperlinks at the end of each chapter direct you to further information including phone numbers and websites for federal and state agencies.